Artichokes With Desert Slaw
|Shredded carrot||1 Cup (16 tbs) (packed)|
|Radishes||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
|Shredded red cabbage||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (packed)|
|Sliced stuffed olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
1) Wash the artichokes and evenly cut stems off at the base, so that the artichokes stand.
2) Remove the small bottom leaves.
3) Trim the prickly tips off the remaining leaves.
4) Cut about 1 inch off the top of each artichoke.
5) In a deep saucepan or Dutch oven, place the artichokes upright.
6) Add in 11/2 teaspoons salt and 2 to 3 inches of boiling water.
7) Place over a lid.
8) Allow to simmer for 35 to 45 minutes, till you can pull a leaf effortlessly. Add boiling water, if required.
9) Turn the artichokes upside down to drain.
10) Spread the leaves apart gently.
11) Remove the choke from the cavity with a metal spoon. Chill.
12) In a bowl, add carrots, radishes, cabbage, olives and parsley.
13) Blend in the remaining salt, oil, vinegar, pepper, sugar and garlic.
14) Pour over the cabbage mix and gently toss.
15) Place a lid and chill for several hours.
17) Fill each artichoke with slaw.
18) Serve with mayonnaise.