Whole Wheat Bread
|Warm water||3⁄4 Pint (425 Milliliter)|
|Vegetable oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon, Plus)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon (To Grease Tins)|
|Whole-wheat flour||1 1⁄4 Pound, sifted (550 Gram)|
|Whole-wheat flour||3 Ounce, sifted (75 Gram)|
1. Using a metal spoon until cream the honey and yeast together smooth and well blended.
2. Put in 150 ml (1/4 pt) of the warm water and mix well.
3. Using a clean cloth cover and leave in a warm place for 10-15 minutes until frothy.
4. Thereafter whip the oil into the mixture.
5. Into a bowl sift the flour and salt and make a well in the middle.
6. Into the well and, using a fork pour the yeast and oil mixture, gradually mixing the flour into the liquid.
7. Combine enough of the remaining warm water to form a stiff dough.
8. On to a well floured board turn the dough and knead with well floured hands for about 10 minutes, until it feels smooth and elastic.
9. Put in more flour if necessary.
10. In the bowl replace the dough, cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
11. Oil 2 x 900 g (2 lb) loaf tins.
12. On to a floured board turn the dough and knead again for 5 minutes.
13. Split into 2 equal portions and shape to fit the prepared tins.
14. In the tins place and leave in a warm place for a further 30 minutes until the dough has almost doubled in size and risen to the tops of the tins.
15. Let the oven heat to 400°F (200°C/Gas 6).
16. Let the loaves bake for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350°F (180°C/Gas 4) and let it bake for a further 30-40 minutes.
17. The loaves are cooked if they sound hollow when tapped lightly on the bottoms.
18. Take out of the oven and let it cool in the tins for 2—3 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Calories 411 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.6%
Saturated Fat 0.9 g4.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 332.5 mg13.9%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.5 g54.1%
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 15 g30.3%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 4% Iron 24.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet