Baked Pineapple Hawaiian
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Slice off 1 ½ inches from the top and bottom of the fruit. Reserve the crown end to serve as a lid.
2. Use a curved sickle like knife, like a grape fruit knife to scoop out the flesh of the pineapple, leaving a thin shell consisting of the rind and a thin layer of flesh over it. Catch the juice that may drip while scooping out the flesh and reserve.
3. Dice the scooped out pineapple flesh, discarding the piths and add the cubes to a bowl.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 F an hour before serving.
5. Dust the diced pineapple pieces with sugar and cinnamon.
6. Add the cognac and reserved juice to the fruit and toss well.
7. Spoon the fruit back into the pineapple shell.
8. Cover with the reserved lid and skewer it to secure in place and keep if from falling off when baking..
9. Place the pineapple on a baking sheet and place in the preheated oven.
10. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the fruit is soft and caramelized.
11. Remove from the oven and transfer the whole fruit to a serving platter.
12. Serve it on the plate.
13. When ready to serve, remove the lid.
14. Place brandy in a ladle and heat until ignited
15. Bring ladle with flaming brandy to the table and pour over the contents in the pineapple.
16. Serve in individual dessert bowls or coupes spooning enough syrup over the fruit.