Here is a recipe for guilt free Southern-style grits. Same flavor but half the calories.
2 Tablespoon (recommended: Smart Balance Light)
1 Large, seeded and chopped
Quick cooking grits
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
Unsalted chicken stock/Water
3 Cup (48 tbs) (recommended: Kitchen Basics)
Fat free cheddar cheese
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter spread.
2. Add the jalapenos and sauté until softened, then add salt.
3. Add the grits and stir for 1 minute. Add a pinch of salt again.
4. Whisk in chicken stock, bring to a boil and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, stir in remaining butter and cheese. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Serve it hot as a meal or you could have it with fried fish such as fried catfish or salmon croquettes.
I used light butter spread instead of real butter. Light butter spreads are full of heart healthy oils, not heart clogging saturated fat like butter. By making this simple change, you are saving almost 80% of the saturated fat butter has and add extra oils to keep your heart beating smoothly.
I added chicken stock instead of water for extra flavor. However, you need to get the unsalted/low sodium variety. Otherwise, you are adding a lot of sodium to your diet that you just don’t need.
Lastly, I used fat free cheddar cheese. You’re saving a ton of fat grams here. Fat free cheese doesn’t melt well on top of things but it incorporates itself into the grits perfectly.
Not being from the South, I’m a relative newcomer to grits. Boy, was I missing out! I’ve been experimenting with grits as of late – I even have my eye on a grits dessert recipe. When I saw Sunny making these, they looked just too yummy to pass up, but I needed to make some changes to include it in my everyday diet.
Easy cheesy....who does not want to good breakfast early in the morning. This video end your search. The amazing cheesy grits with jalapeno peppers is a great concoction of smooth cheese with a dash of zest from the jalapeno peppers. Serve with normal whole bread and give a great start to your day to feel happy all day through.