Favorite Oven Beef Stew
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Beef stew meat||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), pressed|
|Dried thyme leaves||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Canned beef broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce, or diced, undrained (1 Can)|
|Onion||1 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Unpeeled potatoes||1 Pound (2 Large Size)|
|Carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Frozen peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thawed|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, season flour with salt and pepper.
3. Toss beef cubes in the seasoned flour.
4. In a large over proof skillet or a casserole, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
5. Add garlic and sauté until soft for 1 minute.
6. Add beef to skillet, reserving flour mixture.
7. Sauté the beef till evenly browned.
8. Stir in the reserved flour mixture and thyme.
9. Pour in beef broth and stir in tomatoes and onion.
10. Cover skillet with tight fitting lid.
11. Place in the oven and braise for beef for 1 1/4 hours.
12. While beef is cooking, cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices
13. Remove from the oven and stir in vegetables except the peas.
14. Re-cover and return to the oven and cook for another 1 hour till beef and vegetables are fork tender.
15. Add peas to the casserole after removing from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
16. Serve the stew with rice or crusty bread.