Healthy Shrimp Creole
|Chopped onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped fine|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound, mashed (1 Can)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cooked shrimp||1 Pound (Any Variety)|
1) Take a casserole and mix the celery, green pepper, garlic, onion and butter in it.
2) Remove lid and cook for 3 minutes by stirring once in between.
3) Stir the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, tomato, Tabasco, chili powder, salt and sugar into it .
4) Cook for 7 minutes with the lid off stirring twice in between.
5) Mix 2 teaspoons of water with the cornstarch and add it to the contents in the casserole.
6) Cook for 3 minutes with the cover off stirring occasionally.
7) Add the shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes keeping the casserole uncovered until the shrimp becomes hot.
8) Add wild rice or boiled rice and serve.
The dish can also be cooked clams, oysters or crabs. Cooking with the lid on is mandatory with the cooking time being 4 minutes for every pound of the sea food.
Calories 585 Calories from Fat 193
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.7%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g62.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 490.7 mg163.6%
Sodium 2390.6 mg99.6%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.2%
Sugars 12.4 g
Protein 54 g108.2%
Vitamin A 78% Vitamin C 123.8%
Calcium 22.9% Iron 65.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet