Crusty Anadama Bread
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed For Topping)|
1. Heat water, cornmeal, salt, butter or margarine and molasses in a medium-size saucepan until thick and bubbly. Pour into a large bowl; cool to lukewarm, about 45 minutes.
2. Sprinkle yeast into 1/2 cup very warm water in a cup. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves, then blend into cooled cornmeal mixture.
3. Beat in 2 cups of the flour until smooth. Stir in 3 more cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough is very stiff.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until elastic, about 10 minutes, using remaining cup of flour, as needed, to keep dough from sticking.
5. Place dough in a greased large bowl; turn to coat all over with shortening; cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, about 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
6. Punch dough down; knead in bowl a few times. Shape into a ball. Press into a greased 10-cup baking dish. Brush top with soft shortening; sprinkle with cornmeal.
7. Let rise again, in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
8. Bake in a moderate oven (375°) 50 minutes, or until loaf is golden brown, and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to a wire rack; cool.
Calories 145 Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g2.2%
Saturated Fat 0.2 g1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 15.5 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.7%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 3 g6.5%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.3% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet