Mississippi Mud Cake
|For mud cake|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Use 1 1/2 Sticks)|
|Granulated sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Sweetened flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mini marshmallows||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|For fudge topping|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||1 Ounce (1 Ounce Per Square)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk/Heavy / whipping cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Not Sweetened Condensed Milk)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely broken|
|Sweetened flaked coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13" by 9" baking pan.
2. Prepare mud cake: In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat, stirring occasionally. With wire whisk, beat in granulated sugar and cocoa. Remove from heat. Beat in eggs, one at a time; beat in vanilla and salt until well blended. With wooden spoon, stir in flour just until blended. Stir in pecans and coconut (batter will be thick).
3. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven; sprinkle marshmallows in even layer on top of cake. Return to oven and bake until marshmallows are puffed and golden, about 10 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4. When cake is cool, prepare fudge topping: In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. With wire whisk, stir in cocoa and salt until smooth and blended. Stir in evaporated milk and vanilla (mixture will be thick); beat in confectioners' sugar until blended. Pour hot topping over cooled cake.
5. Cool fudge-topped cake 20 minutes; sprinkle pecans and coconut over top. Serve at room temperature, or refrigerate to serve chilled later. To store, leave cake in pan and wrap. To serve, cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 pieces.