|Salt pork slices||4|
|Stewing beef||2 Pound|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic bud||1 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Or Bouillon)|
|Canned tomato sauce/Chili sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Celery salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped water cress||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chianti/Other wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Saute salt pork for fat, and discard meat. Wipe the beef with a clean, damp cloth, cut the meat in serving pieces. When the pork is cooked, cook the beef in the fat; sprinkle the meat with the flour, salt and pepper.
2. In an enamel or agate saucepan, combine the garlic, onion, beef stock or bouillon, the tomato sauce or chili sauce, cloves, celery salt, water cress and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, until it boils.
3. Place the cooked beef in a deep pot, such as a Dutch oven; pour the cooked sauce over it. Cover the pot and cook slowly, 3 to 4 hours. Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking period, pour the wine over the cooking meat.
4. Wash the potatoes, pare them, cut in quarters; cover with salted water, cook till tender. (Use 1/2. teaspoon salt to 1 quart water.) Wash the carrots, cut off green tops, scrape cut in half if large; cover with slightly salted water; cook until tender.
5. Add the cooked potatoes, carrots and the chopped, washed celery to the stew for the last 20 minutes of cooking.