Saturday Chefs - Cornbread Stuffing
|Cornbread||1 Pound, cut into 1/2- inch cubes|
|Smoked bacon||1⁄2 Pound, diced|
|Yellow onion||2 , thinly sliced|
|Celery rib||4 , chopped|
|Hot pepper||1 , finely chopped (Windset Farms Gusto Hot Pepper)|
|Sweet red bell pepper||2 , diced (Windset Farms Maestro)|
|Fresh sage||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Italian parsely||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
2. On a baking sheet, place cornbread and pop it in oven for 20 minutes to dry out.
3. Place a large skillet over medium high heat and saute bacon for 8-10 minutes or until nicely browned.
4. Remove bacon and in the remaining bacon fat, saute celery and onions for 5-8 minutes or until softened.
5. Add red pepper and sweet pepper. Saute for another 2 minutes. Add herbs, stir well and remove from heat.
6. In a large mixing bowl, toss cornbread with vegetable mixture and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Pour chicken stock and mix well to moisten.
7. In a 2-quart baking dish, melt butter and transfer the cornbread mixture into it.
8. Pop it in a 400 degree F oven and bake, uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve hot and enjoy!
Calories 270 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.2 mg6.7%
Sodium 430 mg17.9%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.7%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 9 g17.9%
Vitamin A 30.7% Vitamin C 78.4%
Calcium 2.3% Iron 20.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet