Vermont Apple Pie
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sharp shredded cheddar cheese||3 Ounce (Extra Sharp, 3/4 Cup)|
|Vegetable shortening||3 Tablespoon|
|Cold butter/Margarine||10 Tablespoon (1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoon)|
|Ice water||6 Tablespoon|
|Cortland apples||3 1⁄4 Pound (6 Large Ones)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. In medium bowl, combine 2 1/4 cups flour, Cheddar, and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening and 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with fork after each addition, until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Shape dough into two disks, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap smaller disk in plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to use.
2. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll larger disk of dough into 13-inch round. Gently roll dough round onto rolling pin and ease into 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate, pressing dough against side of plate. Trim edge, leaving 1-inch overhang. Reserve trimmings for decorating pie, if you like. Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel, core, and cut apples into 3/8-inch-thick slices. In large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice. In small bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Add sugar mixture to apples; toss well to coat. Spoon filling into chilled crust; dot with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
4. Preheat oven to 425°F. Roll remaining disk of dough into 11-inch round. Cut 3/4-inch circle out of center and cut 1-inch slits to allow steam to escape during baking. Center dough over filling. Fold overhang under; make decorative edge.
5. Place pie on foil-lined cookie sheet to catch any overflow during baking. Bake until apples are tender when pierced with knife and pie is bubbly, about 1 hour 15 minutes. If necessary, cover pie loosely with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Cool on wire rack 1 hour to serve warm, or cool completely to serve later.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4234 Calories from Fat 1757
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 200 g307%
Saturated Fat 104.4 g521.9%
Trans Fat 5.9 g
Cholesterol 398.5 mg132.8%
Sodium 2435.7 mg101.5%
Total Carbohydrates 581 g193.6%
Dietary Fiber 44.5 g178.1%
Sugars 287.7 g
Protein 59 g117.5%
Vitamin A 109.3% Vitamin C 124.6%
Calcium 79.7% Iron 91.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet