Traditional Lady Baltimore Cake
|Sifted cake flour||2 2⁄3 Cup (42.67 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Pink mountain cream frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Lady baltimore filling||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Grease bottoms of two 9x1 1/2-inch round layer-cake pans; line pans with wax paper; grease and flour paper; tap out excess.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening, 3/4 cup of the milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until blended, then beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup milk and egg whites; continue beating at high speed, 2 minutes longer, scraping down side of bowl often; pour cake batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
4. Cool layers in pans on wire racks, 10 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto wire racks; remove wax paper; cool completely.
5. Put layers together with lady Baltimore filling; frost side and top with pink mountain cream frosting. Decorate with whole or sliced maraschino cherries, if you wish.
Calories 1258 Calories from Fat 451
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.1%
Saturated Fat 13.8 g69.2%
Trans Fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 7.1 mg2.4%
Sodium 1037.9 mg43.2%
Total Carbohydrates 193 g64.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.8%
Sugars 121.7 g
Protein 13 g25.7%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 46.3% Iron 37.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet