Mississippi Mud Pie
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Cornstarch||20 Milliliter (4 Teaspoon Cornflour)|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram Superfine Variety)|
|Milk||14 Fluid Ounce (400 Milliliter, 1 3/4 Cups Milk)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate||5 Ounce, broken up (150 Gram, Plain Variety)|
|Vanilla essence||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon Extract)|
|Gelatin powder||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Water||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Dark rum||30 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Double cream||6 Fluid Ounce, whipped (175 Gram Or 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream)|
|Chocolate curls||1 Teaspoon (A Few To Decorate)|
|For the pastry|
|Plain flour||9 Ounce (250 Gram Or 2 1/4 Cups All Purpose Type)|
|Butter||5 Ounce, diced (150 Gram Or 2/3 Cup)|
|Chilled water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl and rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the egg yolks with just enough chilled water to make a soft dough.
2. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a deep 23cm/9in flan tin (quiche pan). Chill for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Prick the pastry all over with a fork, line with foil and baking beans, then bake blind for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the foil and beans, return the pie to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes more until the pastry is crisp and golden. Cool in the tin.
4. To make the custard filling, mix the egg yolks, cornflour and 30ml/2 tbsp of the sugar in a bowl. Heat the milk in a pan until almost boiling, then beat into
5. Return the custard mixture to the cleaned pan and stir over a low heat until the custard has thickened and is smooth. Pour half the custard into a bowl.
6. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water, then add to the custard in the bowl. Add the vanilla essence and mix well. Spread in the pastry case, cover closely with some baking parchment to prevent a skin from forming, cool, then chill until set.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4601 Calories from Fat 2539
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 287 g442.2%
Saturated Fat 114.4 g571.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1350.8 mg450.3%
Sodium 453.1 mg18.9%
Total Carbohydrates 428 g142.8%
Dietary Fiber 14.8 g59.3%
Sugars 187.9 g
Protein 76 g151%
Vitamin A 102.6% Vitamin C
Calcium 70% Iron 51.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet