Betty's "To Die For" Lemon Meringue Pie
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|White vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|9-inch pie crusts||1 , baked (Betty's Super Easy Press-in-Pan Pie Crust)|
|Meringue||1 Cup (16 tbs) (as needed)|
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
2. On top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, water, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Mix well.
3. Bring water to a boil in double boiler; reduce heat, and cook egg mixture over hot water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in butter, white vinegar, and lemon extract. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated into the pie filling.
5. Pour immediately into baked 9-inch pie crust, and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
6. Spread meringue over warm filling, sealing to edge of pie crust.
7. Pop it in oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool before serving.
8. Cut in wedges and serve.
Pour little bit of food coloring if desired in the filling.
Calories 563 Calories from Fat 190
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.2%
Saturated Fat 10.5 g52.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 108.7 mg36.2%
Sodium 189.4 mg7.9%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g5.9%
Sugars 61.4 g
Protein 4 g8.5%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 15.6%
Calcium 1.8% Iron 3.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet