The Best American Chocolate Layer Cake
|Boiling water||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 (At Room Temperature)|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cake flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (2 Sticks)|
|Semi sweet chocolate||1 Pound|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (350°). Grease three 9-inch round layer-cake pans. Line the bottoms with wax paper rounds. Grease the paper. Flour the pans.
2. Whisk together the boiling water and the cocoa in a small bowl until smooth. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
3. Combine the eggs and the vanilla in a second small bowl. Lightly whisk in one-quarter of the cooled cocoa mixture.
4. Combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix on low speed for 1 minute or until blended.
5. Add the remaining three-quarters cocoa mixture and the butter to the dry ingredients. Beat at medium-speed for 1 1/2 minutes, scraping down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg-cocoa mixture in thirds, beating at medium-high speed for 20 seconds after each addition. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
6. Bake the cakes in the preheated moderate oven (350°) for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the centers comes out clean; the cakes should not shrink from the pan sides. Cool the cakes in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides of the cakes gentiy with a spatula. Invert the cakes onto lightly greased wire racks to finish cooling. Remove the wax paper.
7. Prepare the Fudge Frosting: Chop the chocolate very fine in a food processor. Heat the cream in a saucepan until bubbles appear around the edge. With the processor motor running, add the hot cream to the chocolate in a steady stream. Process until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Let cool at room temperature until the frosting is a good spreading consistency. Do not stir the frosting while it is cooling.
8. To assemble the cake: Spread the frosting between the 3 layers, sprinkling each layer with 1/4 cup of the chopped nuts. Frost the top and the sides of the cake. Decorate with the remaining nuts.