Wegmans Braised Meat Sauce
|Stew beef||1 Pound|
|Veal shanks||1 3⁄4 Pound|
|Country style pork ribs||2 1⁄4 Pound (bone-in)|
|Pan searing flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Wegmans)|
|Bacon strips||4 Ounce, dice|
|Mirepoix||8 Ounce (chopped celery, onion and carrots, Food You Feel Good About)|
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon, chop (Food You Feel Good About)|
|Fresh oregano||1 Tablespoon, chop|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 Medium|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Crushed tomatoes||56 Ounce (Italian Classics Crushed Tomatoes with Italian Herbs 2 cans)|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Food You Feel Good About Beef Culinary Stock)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dice the bacon, chop the fresh oregano and fresh basil, chop the garlic, set aside.
3. Dust all meat with pan-searing flour; pat off excess.
4. Cook bacon in large braising pan or roasting pan on medium heat for, 3-5 minutes, until brown and crisp, remove bacon, set aside.
5. Brown meat lightly on all sides in bacon drippings for 5-8 minutes, remove meat, set aside.
6. Add vegetables and garlic to pan; cook, stirring for 3-5 min minutes or until brown. Stir in oregano, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
7. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits on bottom of pan. Cook 3-5 min to slightly reduce to syrupy consistency.
8. Add tomatoes and stock; return meat and bacon to pan.
9. Bring to simmer; cover. Place pan on center rack of oven you can place baking sheet under pan to catch over spill, braise for 1 1/2 hours.
10. Take braising pan out of oven. Remove shank and ribs.
11. Flake meat off bones using a tong, return meat to pan.
12. Add milk and basil and simmer 15 min.
13. Serve the meat sauce along with rigatoni pasta and sprinkle some pecorino romano cheese on top.