Banana Brown Betty
|Firm white bread slice||8 , torn into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon, melted|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ripe bananas||6 Medium, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices to make 4 cups|
|Packed light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease shallow 2-quart baking dish.
2. In jelly-roll pan, bake bread pieces, tossing several times, until very lightly toasted, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. In medium bowl, combine melted butter and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Add toasted bread pieces; gently toss until evenly moistened. In large bowl, combine bananas, brown sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, ginger, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; toss to coat.
4. Spoon 1/2 cup bread pieces into prepared dish. Top with half of banana mixture, then 1 cup bread pieces. Spoon remaining banana mixture on top; sprinkle with remaining bread pieces, leaving 1-inch border.
5. Cover with foil; bake 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake until bananas are tender and top is brown, about 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes to serve warm.