Southern Chicken Fried Steak with White Gravy
|Top round steak||1 Pound, cut into serving pieces|
|Dry rub||2 Tablespoon|
|For flour mixture|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cayanne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For egg mixture|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Peanut oil/Canola oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For white gravy|
|Bacon fat/Butter||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken base||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Place the steak between two plastic sheets, using a mallet, make it 1/2 inch thin.
2. Season with dry rub mixture. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
3. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients of the flour mixture.
4. In another bowl, mix together all ingredients of the egg mixture.
5. In a flat skillet, heat oil to 325F to 375F.
6. Coat the steak pieces, first in flour mixture, then in egg and then again in flour mixture, carefully slide into the skillet.
7. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes from both sides.
8. In a pan, melt bacon fat, add flour, cook for few seconds, stir constantly to remove lumps.
9. Add all dry ingredients and then finally add buttermilk, allow to boil, stir constantly, cook until the consistency coats the back of a wooden spatula.
10. Add sour cream and mix.
11. Serve hot with mashed potatoes and steamed beans.
If not serving immediately, put the steaks in an oven set at 200F.
Calories 1057 Calories from Fat 594
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g102.6%
Saturated Fat 16.1 g80.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 307 mg102.3%
Sodium 1415.4 mg59%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.7%
Dietary Fiber 3 g11.9%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 47 g93.3%
Vitamin A 12.7% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 5% Iron 26.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet