Boston Baked Beans With Salt Pork
|Dried navy beans/Dried pea beans||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lean salt pork||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
1. Pick over navy beans and rinse. Place in large bowl; add water to cover; let stand overnight; drain.
2. Combine beans and onion in a large saucepan; add water to large saucepan; add water to cover; bring to boiling; cover. Simmer 45 minutes, or till tender-firm. Drain liquid into small bowl.
3. Measure 1 cup of the bean liquid (reserve the rest) and combine with the molasses, mustard, brown sugar and salt in a bowl.
4. Layer half of salt pork and all of beans in an 8-cup bean pot or baking dish. Pour molasses mixture over top; add just enough more of reserved liquid to cover beans. Top with remaining salt pork, pressing down into liquid; cover.
5. Bake in slow oven (300°) for 4 hours; uncover. Bake 1 hour long-tender and as dry as you like them. (After 2 hours baking, check beans; if dry, add more bean liquid to moisten.)