Iowa Boiled Beef Dinner
|Boneless lean chuck roast||1|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Potatoes||6 Small, scrubbed|
|Carrots||6 Medium, pared and quartered|
1. Place meat in large kettle; add the salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and water. Cover; bring to boiling; simmer 1 1/2 hours.
2. Remove meat; let any fat rise to top of broth; skim; return meat to kettle.
3. Cut off a band of skin around middle of each potato; place potatoes, onions and carrots around meat in kettle; simmer for 1 hour longer, or until meat is tender.
4. Cut cabbage into 6 wedges; arrange on top of meat and vegetables; cover. Cook 15 minutes longer, or until cabbage is tender.
5. Remove cabbage with slotted spoon and place at one side of a heated, large, serving platter; place meat in center and carrots at other side. Place the onions and potatoes in separate serving bowl.
6. Skim any last traces of fat from broth; remove bay leaf; spoon broth over vegetables. (Or chill all broth and use to make soup for another meal.)