Strawberry Chiffon Charlotte
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Strawberry flavored gelatin||3 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Frozen strawberries||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Frozen pound cake||12 Ounce, cut into 9 slices 3/8 inch thick|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Beat egg yolks with water in a medium-size, heavy saucepan. (Reserve egg whites for Step 4.) Stir in gelatin, salt and half of the frozen strawberries. Cook slowly, stirring constantly, till strawberries thaw and gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in remaining strawberries and lemon juice till berries thaw. Pour into large bowl. Chill, stirring often, until the mixture is as thick as unbeaten egg white.
3. While gelatin mixture chills, trim brown crust off pound cake, then cut each slice into 3 strips. Stand diagonally, about 1/2-inch apart, around side of a generously buttered, 7-inch springform pan; lay remaining strips on bottom.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy-white and double in volume in medium-size bowl; beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in firm peaks. Beat chilled gelatin mixture until fluffy.
5. Place bowl of gelatin mixture in a larger bowl partly filled with ice cubes to speed setting; fold in meringue. Continue folding, keeping bowl over ice, until no streaks of white remain and mixture mounds lightly on a spoon.
6. Spoon into prepared pan, making deep swirls on top with a spoon. Chill several hours, or until firm.
7. When ready to serve, loosen mold around edge with a knife; release spring and carefully lift off side of pan. Place dessert, still on its metal base, on serving plate. Garnish with a ring of whole strawberries, if you wish. Cut mold into wedges.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1996 Calories from Fat 578
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g103.5%
Saturated Fat 28.7 g143.6%
Trans Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 774.4 mg258.1%
Sodium 1664.8 mg69.4%
Total Carbohydrates 266 g88.8%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24.1%
Sugars 176.4 g
Protein 109 g217.9%
Vitamin A 17.2% Vitamin C 206.1%
Calcium 49.3% Iron 54.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet