Maryland Stuffed Ham
|Fully cooked ham||1|
|Fresh spinach||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Green onions||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Honey||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Trim thick, outer skin, if any, from the ham. Make X-shape cuts, about 3 inches deep and 1 inch apart, all over fat side with a sharp knife.
2. Trim stems from spinach and cut out any coarse ribs. Trim green onions and parsley; wash all greens well; dry on paper toweling. Chop all tine and mix well in a small bowl.
3. Press the greens mixture into the cuts, packing in well with your finger to fill openings. Place the ham, fat-side up, in a large, shallow, baking pan. Brush it all over with part of the wine.
4. Bake in slow oven (325°), brushing several times with more wine, for 2 1/2 hours.
5. Stir honey into remaining wine; brush part of mixture over the ham. Continue baking and brushing with the remaining honey mixture for another 30 minutes, or until the top is richly glazed. Remove the ham from the pan and let it stand about 20 minutes for easier carving.
6. Pour fat and juices from baking pan into a 4-cup measure; let stand a few minutes until fat rises to top; skim off fat. Add water to the juices, if needed, to make 3 cups. Return to the pan; bring to boiling.
7. Blend about 3 tablespoons cold water into cornstarch until smooth in a cup; stir into the boiling liquid. Continue cooking and stirring, scraping baked-on juices from the bottom and sides of pan, until the sauce thickens and bubbles 1 minute; stir in vinegar.
8. Turn ham meaty-side up; cut a thin slice from bottom so it will stand flat. Place on heated serving platter, fat-side up. Cut a wedge-shaped piece from shank end and lift out, then carve several slices and arrange at end of platter. Garnish platter with spinach leaves and spiced apple rings, if you wish. Serve sauce in separate bowl to spoon over meat.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1257 Calories from Fat 17
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.1%
Saturated Fat 0.33 g1.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 317.9 mg13.2%
Total Carbohydrates 254 g84.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.7 g54.7%
Sugars 191.7 g
Protein 14 g28.2%
Vitamin A 780.1% Vitamin C 432.3%
Calcium 51.5% Iron 97.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet