Dave is cooking Collard Greens with onions, garlic, ham, chicken broth.
1 , chopped finely
Salt and pepper
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Rip the collard greens of the main stem and rinse it under cold water running water.
2. While rinsing tear the leaves in small pieces and rinse well.
3. Drain the torn leaves and set aside.
4. In a saucepan, heat olive oil and saute garlic and onion until they are soft.
5. Put the greens over the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Put in the chicken base and pour water over it.
7. Sprinkle the ham on top, cover with lid and cook on medium heat and cook until the greens wilts down.
8. Remove the lid check if the water is still there and add more if needed.
9. Cover and cook on low heat for about 90 to 120 minutes or until the leaves are dark in colour.
Dave has a delicious and nutritious side dish packed in his video Slow Cooked Collard Greens recipe. He is showing the best way of cooking them in least possible water without scorching and losing its nutrients. The chunks of ham that he adds to the greens should really pep up dish. So, next time, don't let those collard green to turn you off, rather treat yourself with this delicious dish and have fun.