Cajun Meatball Stew
|Ground round/Chuck||1 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Green onions||4 , trimmed and minced, reserve tops for gravy|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm), crushed|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Browning Meatballs)|
|Pan drippings||2 Tablespoon (From Meatballs Plus Enough Vegetable Oil To Total 1/4 Cup)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon (Adjust Quantity As Needed To Make 1/4 Cup)|
|All purpose flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Cold water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Instant beef broth||4 Teaspoon (4 Envelopes)|
|Minced parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), minced|
|Green onion tops||4 , thinly sliced|
1. Prepare Meatballs: Combine beef, bread crumbs, green onions, parsley, garlic, egg, salt, cayenne, pepper and cold water in a medium-size bowl. Mix lightly and shape into 24 balls. Place on a tray and chill 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in large, heavy skillet and brown meatballs quickly on all sides (don't overcook or the meatballs may toughen); drain on paper toweling; reserve drippings.
3. Prepare Gravy: Place combined meatball drippings and vegetable oil in a large, heavy saucepan, blend in flour, and heat and stir over moderately low heat until flour begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. A properly worked roux (and some Cajun and Creole cooks work it as Pong as 30 to 45 minutes) will be a rich topaz-brown. Add water and instant beef broth gradually, whisking until thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add meatballs to gravy, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Stir in parsley and green-onion tops; heat for 15 minutes longer.
5. Serve in soup bowls or, if you wish, on plates with the meat balls and gravy ladled over fluffy cooked rice.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2592 Calories from Fat 1708
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 191 g294.6%
Saturated Fat 54.8 g274%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 521.8 mg173.9%
Sodium 5486.6 mg228.6%
Total Carbohydrates 110 g36.7%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g36.9%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 112 g224.2%
Vitamin A 149.9% Vitamin C 169%
Calcium 33% Iron 69%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet