Creole A Pie Crust
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Shortening/Lard||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cold water||4 Tablespoon|
1. In medium mixing bowl stir together flour and salt.
Cut in shortening or lard till pieces are the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat till all is moistened.
3. Form dough into a ball.
4. On lightly floured surface flatten dough with hands. Roll dough from center to edge, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
5. Wrap pastry around rolling pin.
6. Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate.
7. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful to avoid stretching pastry.
8. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.
9. Make a fluted, rope-shaped, or scalloped edge.
10. For a baked pie shell, prick bottom and sides with tines of a fork. Bake in 450° oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Or, line pastry with foil and fill with dry beans or line the pastry with double thickness heavy-duty foil. Bake in 450° oven for 5 minutes. Remove beans and foil or heavy-duty foil; bake for 5 to 7 minutes more or till golden. Makes one 9-inch pastry shell.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1173 Calories from Fat 617
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g107.5%
Saturated Fat 17.3 g86.6%
Trans Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 977.2 mg40.7%
Total Carbohydrates 119 g39.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.9%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 16 g32.3%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 2.7% Iron 40.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet