Cinnamon Salt Water Taffy
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peppermint extract/Rum flavoring / few drops oil of cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
• Butter a 15 x 10 x l-inch baking pan; set pan aside. Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine sugar, light corn syrup, water, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take about 10 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
• Cook mixture over medium heat, without stirring, till thermometer registers 265°, hard-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching hard ball stage should take about 40 minutes.
• Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Stir in the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Stir in peppermint extract, rum flavoring, or oil of cinnamon and food coloring, if desired. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Cool till taffy mixture can be handled easily. This should take 15 to 20 minutes.
• Butter both hands, then twist and pull candy till it turns a creamy color and is stiff and quite difficult to pull. This should take about 10 minutes. The candy is ready to snip if it cracks when you tap it on a work surface.
• Divide the candy into fourths; twist and pull each piece into a long strand about 1/2 inch thick. With buttered scissors, snip each strand of taffy into bite-size pieces. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2730 Calories from Fat 220
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.5%
Saturated Fat 15.4 g77.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg21.5%
Sodium 3121.6 mg130.1%
Total Carbohydrates 662 g220.8%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 491.6 g
Protein 0.26 g0.51%
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C
Calcium 5.7% Iron 0.39%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet