American Apple Pie
|Pastry||1 (For Double Crust Pie)|
|Sliced cooking apples||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
Prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate.
1. If apples lack tartness, sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
2. In mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. (For a very juicy pie, omit the flour.)
3. Add sugar mixture to the sliced apples; toss to mix.
4. Fill pastry-lined pie plate with apple mixture; dot with butter or margarine. Cut slits in top crust for escape of steam; place pastry atop filling. Seal and flute edge.
5. Sprinkle some sugar atop, if desired. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in 375° oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or till crust is golden. Cool pie on rack.