|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped shallots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), minced|
|Celery ribs||3 , chopped|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1 , sliced into 2-inch julienne strips|
|Red bell peppers||2 , sliced in 2-inch julienne strips|
|Orange||1 Medium, both grated peel and juice|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|White dry vermouth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fish/Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Canned chopped tomatoes with juice||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled saffron threads||1 Teaspoon|
|Golden clams||2 Pound, well washed|
|Black mussels||2 Pound, well washed|
|Prawns||1 Pound, peeled, deveined, with tails left on|
|Dungeness crabs||3 , cooked, cleaned and broken in half|
|Halibut fillet/Cod||2 Pound, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes|
1. In a large, heavy stockpot, combine olive oil, shallots, garlic, celery and onion. Saute over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is transluce nt and tender, 5-6 minutes. Do not brown.
2. Add bell peppers and saute for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add all remaining ingredients except seafood. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a light simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add clams and mussels. Simmer for 4 minutes.
5. Add prawns, crabs and halibut. Simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until prawns are opaque.
6. Divide seafood equally into 6 large soup bowls.Top with broth and serve with French/sourdough bread and butter.