Lord Baltimore Cake
|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Pink Mountain)|
|Filling||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Lord Baltimore)|
1. Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans; dust lightly with flour; tap out.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper.
3. Beat sugar, shortening, egg yolks and vanilla in large bowl of electric mixer at high speed 3 minutes. Remove bowl from mixer.
4. Stir in flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
6. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.
7. Make pink mountain frosting, substituting water for cherry juice and omitting food coloring, to make white mountain frosting.
8. Make lord Baltimore filling.
9. Put layers together with lord Baltimore filling; frost side and top with remaining white mountain frosting.
10. Decorate with pecan halves and cherry halves, if you wish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3997 Calories from Fat 1416
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 159 g244%
Saturated Fat 40.6 g203%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 762.9 mg254.3%
Sodium 2935.3 mg122.3%
Total Carbohydrates 603 g201%
Dietary Fiber 32.2 g129%
Sugars 337.2 g
Protein 58 g116.4%
Vitamin A 22.5% Vitamin C 3.5%
Calcium 147.4% Iron 21.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet