Beef Stew With Wine And Herbs
|Stewing beef||2 Pound, cut into 2 inch cubes|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||1 Large|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), sliced|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Bacon drippings/Other fat||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Celery leaves||1 , diced|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Ginger root piece||1|
1. Place the meat in a large bowl and add the wine, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Marinate in the refrigerator several hours, turning frequently.
2. Remove the meat and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Reserve the marinade. In a Dutch oven heat the drippings, add the meat and brown on all sides.
3. Simmer together for ten minutes the reserved marinade, stock and the celery, onion, herbs and spices tied in a cheesecloth. Combine with the meat, cover and simmer until tender, two and one-half to three hours. Add water if necessary. If desired, when meat is just tender, vegetables such as peas, carrots and onions may be added. Cook until vegetables are tender.
4. Discard the herb bag and remove the meat to a hot platter.
5. Thicken the gravy with cornstarch mixed with a little cold water, using one-half tablespoon cornstarch for each cup of broth. Boil, stirring, two minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1905 Calories from Fat 676
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 79 g121.1%
Saturated Fat 33.8 g168.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 510.3 mg170.1%
Sodium 4876.9 mg203.2%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.5%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 179 g358.4%
Vitamin A 8.2% Vitamin C 36%
Calcium 12.7% Iron 63.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet