A Precious Ginger & Treacle Bread Recipe from Yeats Country Foods
Self raising flour
8 Ounce (Coarse)
2 Fluid Ounce
1⁄2 Teaspoon (To melt the treacle)
To grease the loaf pan
1 Teaspoon (As needed for greasing)
1. In a saucepan, melt treacle with a little bit of butter, gently stir and set aside.
2. Grease loaf pans with butter and set aside. Preheat the oven.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add self raising flour, coarse wholemeal flour, brown sugar, pinch of salt, ginger and baking powder.
4. Add margarine and combine it well with the flour mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, add buttermilk and eggs and whisk to combine well.
6. Add the treacle mixture to the eggs and buttermilk and beat well to mix.
7. Gradually add the prepared treacle and buttermilk mixture to the flour mix and combine.
8. Transfer the prepared mixture into the greased loaf pan (3/4 filled) and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes.
9. Once done, take the loafs out of the loaf pan and lay them on their side and bake again for about 10 minutes for a crispy bottom crust.
The distinctive flavor of ginger and the syrupy feel of treacle makes this bread nothing short of being a delicacy. In the video, the chef tells you how to prepare this zesty-sweet bread at home in a few simple steps. Try this recipe when you feel like treating yourself to something sweet and different.