Best Ever Christmas Cookies
Sugar - 1 1/4 cups
Flour - 2 1/2 cups
Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
Egg yolks - 6, chilled
Unsalted butter - 1 cup, slightly softened
Red currant, strawberry or raspberry jelly - 1 jar of 8 ounces
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) In the world bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade, combine together the almonds and ½ cup of sugar.
3) Process till a fine mixture is formed and then add the remaining sugar and flour. Blend well till find (25 to 30 seconds).
4) On a dry, cold marble or countertop, place the processed mixture.
5) In the center, make a well and add the vanilla, butter and egg yolks.
6) Work the ingredients together slowly till the moisture has been absorbed.
7) Knead till the mixture is very smooth (3 to 4 minutes).
8) Store in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours.
9) Divide the dough, cover and refrigerate once again.
10) On a cold, floured surface, roll one portion of the dough to a thickness of ¼-inch.
11) With a fluted cookie cutter of 1 ½ to 2-inches, cut rounds from the dough.
12) Place the rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
13) Out of the center, cut ½-inch circles.
14) Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, till light brown around the edges.
15) Remove from the baking sheet carefully and cool.
16) Repeat the process with the second portion of the dough. Here, do not cut out the centers of the dough rounds.
17) To assemble the cookies, on each of the whole cookies, spread a thin layer of jelly.
18) Top with the cookies that have been cut out and, if desired, fill the holes with some more jelly (use a pastry bag for this).
19) Sprinkle powdered sugar all over.
20) Serve the cookies as and when preferred. Arrange on a decorative serving plate and serve as dessert or tea/coffee/milk accompaniment.