Cornish Hens Stuffed with Apples Almonds and Raisins
|Lemon juice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Apples||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Bulgur||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Mint||1 Teaspoon, dried|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Coat a baking tray with the non-stick cooking spray
3. Wash and pat dry the hens
4. Prepare a marinade with onions and lemon juice in a large bowl
5. Place the chickens in the marinade and allow them to soak up the juices for at least 20 minutes. Turn them occasionally during this time to ensure that they pick up the marinate.
6. Transfer the chickens to the roasting pan and strain the marinade. Set the onions and the lemon juice for later use.
7. In a large nonstick frying pan, add the onions, apples, almonds, and raisins to the pan and fry them in a little oil for five minutes.
8. Add the bulgur to the pan and cook for three minutes or till the bulgur is toasted.
9. In a 1-quart saucepan, bring the stock and 1/2 cup of the reserved lemon juice to a boil.
10. Add 1 3/4 cups of stock to the bulgur mixture and cook again for five minutes till the stock is absorbed. Fluff up the bulgur and then add the parsley and mint to ensure that bulgur is well mixed.
11. Stuff each hen with the mixture and place it back it back in the baking tin. If there is any leftover stuffing, place it in a buttered casserole dish and cover with foil paper.
12. Bake the hens for 45 minutes till done and remember to baste occasionally during the cooking process with the remaining lemon juice
13. In the last 30 minutes of the cooking process, place the casserole with the stuffing in the oven and bake again.
14. Remove the skin before eating and serve hot.
Calories 1403 Calories from Fat 624
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g108.2%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g77.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 327.3 mg109.1%
Sodium 481.8 mg20.1%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.8%
Dietary Fiber 26.1 g104.2%
Sugars 23.8 g
Protein 79 g157.7%
Vitamin A 26.6% Vitamin C 90.8%
Calcium 19.2% Iron 41.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet