Almond Thimble cookies
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Large, separated|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Jam/Jelly / fruit preserves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven moderately to 375° F (190°C).
2) Take cookie sheets and grease lightly.
3) For the Electric Mixer Method cream butter in a bowl.
4) Beat sugar till fluffy.
5) Beat in egg yolks and almond extract till well blended.
6) In a medium bowl mix flour and salt.
7) Blend to the creamed mixture and beat till smooth.
8) For the Food Processor Method, begin with creaming butter using the appropriate blade.
9) Beat sugar till fluffy.
10) While the processor is running add egg yolks and almond extract and process well.
11) In a medium bowl mix flour and salt.
12) Add the batter to workbowl one half at a time and process.
13) Beat egg whites.
14) Beat water into it.
15) Knead into dough and make one inch balls.
16) Roll balls in egg white mixture and chopped nuts.
17) On the cookies sheets place the balls and with the thimble on your index finger poke the center of each ball.
18) Put in preheated oven to bake for 15 minutes till firm and golden.
19) Place in wire racks and cool.
20) With the thimble re-press again till cookies are warm.
21) Fill centers with jam, jelly or preserves.
22) Serve cold.