Almond and Date Filo Parcels
|Sunflower oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Blanched almonds||8 Ounce (225 Gram, 2 Cups)|
|Pitted dates||4 Ounce (115 Gram, 2/3 Cup)|
|Butter||1 Ounce, softened (25 Gram, 2 Tablespoon)|
|Ground cinnamon||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Almond essence||1 1⁄2 Milliliter (Extract, 1/4 Teaspoon)|
|Icing sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram, 1/3 Cup, Confectioner'S)|
|Orange flower water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Filo pastry sheets||10 , thawed if frozen|
|Butter||2 Ounce, melted (50 Gram, 1/4 Cup)|
|Clear honey||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter, 1/2 Cup)|
|Dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Serving)|
1. Heat the oil in a small pan, add the almonds and fry until golden, stirring constantly. Drain them on kitchen paper, allow to cool, then grind in a very clean coffee or spice mill. Pound the dates by hand or process in a blender or a food processor.
2. Combine the almonds, pitted dates softened butter, cinnamon, almond essence and icing sugar in a mixing bowl, blender or food processor. Add a little orange flower water to taste. Mix or process the mixture to a smooth paste. If the paste feels stiff, work in a little extra flower water, but only 5ml/l tsp at a time, until smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Brush a sheet of filo pastry with melted butter and cut into three equal strips, keeping the remaining sheets covered with a damp dishtowel.
4. Place a walnut-size piece of the almond and date paste at the end of each strip. Fold one corner of the pastry over the filling to make a triangle and then continue folding to make a neat triangular package. Brush with butter. Repeat to make about 30 pastries.
5. Place the pastries on a buttered baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until golden. Cook them in batches, if possible, as once cooked they must be dipped immediately in honey.
6. While the filo parcels are cooking, pour the clear honey and a little orange flower water into a pan and heat very gently. As soon as the pastries are cooked, lower them one by one into the honey mixture and turn them so that they are coated. Transfer to a plate and cool, then serve, with dates if you like.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4374 Calories from Fat 1815
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 212 g325.6%
Saturated Fat 56.5 g282.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 182.9 mg61%
Sodium 1082.7 mg45.1%
Total Carbohydrates 574 g191.2%
Dietary Fiber 52.7 g210.7%
Sugars 299.2 g
Protein 90 g180%
Vitamin A 43.5% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 64.7% Iron 63.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet