|Ground almonds||7 Ounce (200 Gram, Scant 2 Cups)|
|Icing sugar||4 1⁄2 Ounce (115 Gram, 1 Cup)|
|Orange flower water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Butter||1 Ounce, melted (25 Gram, 2 Tablespoon)|
|Egg yolks||2 , beaten|
|Ground cinnamon||2 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/2 Teaspoon)|
|For the pastry|
|Plain flour||7 Ounce (All Purpose Flour, 200 Gram, 1.75 Cup)|
|Orange||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Water||90 Milliliter, chilled (6 Tablespoon)|
1. Mix the ground almonds, icing sugar, orange flower water, melted butter, egg yolks and cinnamon in a mixing bowl to make a smooth paste.
2. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, then stir in the melted butter, orange flower water and about three-quarters of the egg yolk. Stir in enough chilled water to make a fairly soft dough.
3. Quickly and lightly, knead the pastry until it is smooth and elastic, then place it on a lightly floured surface and roll it out as thinly as possible. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into long strips about 7.5cm/3in wide.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Roll small pieces of the almond paste into thin sausages about 7.5cm/ 3in long with tapering ends.
5. Place these in a line along one side of the strips of pastry, about 3cm/1 1/4in apart. Dampen the pastry edges with water, then fold the other half of the strip over the filling and press the edges together firmly.
6. Using a pastry wheel, cut around each pastry sausage to make a crescent shape. Make sure that the edges are firmly pinched together.
7. Prick the crescents with a fork and place on a buttered baking sheet. Brush with the remaining beaten egg yolk and bake for 12-16 minutes until lightly coloured. Allow to cool, then dust with icing sugar.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1919 Calories from Fat 549
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g95.1%
Saturated Fat 19.7 g98.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 616.2 mg205.4%
Sodium 282 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 308 g102.5%
Dietary Fiber 10.4 g41.7%
Sugars 138.8 g
Protein 31 g61.5%
Vitamin A 28.6% Vitamin C 22.7%
Calcium 12.4% Iron 12.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet