Almond Layer Gateau
|Dried white breadcrumbs||2 Ounce (60 Gram)|
|Milk||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter)|
|Butter/Margarine||3 Ounce (90 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||3 Ounce (90 Gram)|
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Roasted almonds||3 Ounce, ground (90 Gram)|
|Double cream||1 Pint (570 Milliliter)|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Roasted almonds||2 Ounce, finely chopped (60 Gram)|
|Blanched almonds||1 Tablespoon, toasted|
1. Put the breadcrumbs into a large bowl and pour over the milk and half of the rum. Stand until the liquid has been completely absorbed.
2. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Gradually add the sugar, mixing until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time mixing well. Fold in the breadcrumbs.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold into the mixture with the ground almonds.
4. Divide the cake mixture equally between 3 x 20 cm/8-inch round cake tins; all greased, floured and lined. Bake in an oven preheated to 180° C/350° F/Gas Mark 4, for 30-35 minutes, until well risen and golden. Cool briefly before turning onto a wire rack.
5. Whip the cream until stiff, then beat in the icing sugar and remaining rum. Reserve one third of the cream and fold the finely chopped almonds into the rest.
6. Sandwich the cake layers together with the almond cream, then spread the plain cream onto the top, reserving some for piping. Decorate with the toasted whole almonds.