|Pastry flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (cake flour)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lightly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped blanched almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
2. Lightly oil two 9-inch (23-cm) pie plates.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
4. In large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract; beat well. Stir in dry ingredients until well-blended.
5. Press half of dough into each pie plate. Divide chopped almonds evenly and sprinkle over top of dough. Bake in oven 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool 3 minutes. Cut each pan into 12 wedges. Let cool completely.