Oranges in Caramel with Brandy Snaps
|Seedless oranges||8 Large (Navels Are Best)|
|Granulated sugar||8 Ounce|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Pint|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Pint|
1) In a saucepan, add sugar and cold water and without stirring, gently heat till the sugar dissolve.
2) With the help of a spoon, carefully remove the excess sugar from the bottom of the pan.
3) When the sugar dissolved, allow the liquid to boil and cook till a rich caramel.
4) Stop the cooking process by placing the pan over a bowl of lukewarm water and let the base touch the water.
5) Pour the mix in warm water, and pour into a jug. Cool.
6) Use 1 orange and pare a little rind using a potato peeler.
7) Slit into shreds and add into boiling water for 1 minute and drain and dry.
8) Using a serrated-edge knife, from the oranges, cut the rind, pith and first membrane and leave the flesh exposed.
9) Over a bowl, hold each orange in your hand at the top and bottom and cut in slices.
10) Holding the slices with a cocktail stick, place in a deep glass dish and pour caramel on top.
11) Chill well and sprinkle over the shredded orange rind.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1613 Calories from Fat 28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g5.2%
Saturated Fat 0.4 g2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 10.8 mg0.5%
Total Carbohydrates 411 g137.1%
Dietary Fiber 38.4 g153.6%
Sugars 372.8 g
Protein 11 g22.4%
Vitamin A 72% Vitamin C 1200%
Calcium 69.8% Iron 8.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet