Cider Braised Onions
|Small white onions||1 Pound (1 inch size)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh apple cider||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1) Prepare the onions, by peeling the skin, trimming off the root and about 1/8 inch of the top. At the root end, cut a shallow cross with a sharp paring knife to ensure even cooking.
2) In a medium nonreactive skillet, add butter to melt over moderate heat.
3) Place onions in butter and stir to coat.
4) Stir in cider and soy sauce to bring a boil by increasing the heat to high.
5) Simmer the liquid by reducing the heat and covering with a tight lid.
6) Braise the onions for about 10 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
7) Remove the lid and increase the heat to high.
8) Boil the liquid for another 5 minutes, to reduce the cider into a light amber glaze.
9) In a serving platter, arrange the onions and scrape off the glaze on top. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Steps 1-8 can be made up to 1 day ahead. Store inside refrigerator by covering and reheat before serving.
Calories 98 Calories from Fat 28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.9%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg2.7%
Sodium 26.7 mg1.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.2%
Sugars 10.2 g
Protein 1 g2.8%
Vitamin A 8.2% Vitamin C 22.3%
Calcium 3.2% Iron 3.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet