Glazed Ham With Stuffed Apples And Cider Cream Gravy
|Precooked ham||5 Pound|
|Cider||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Mixed mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||To Taste|
|Dessert apples||10 (Sharp)|
|Canned pineapple pieces||7 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Boiled rice||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (Cold)|
|Chilled butter||5 Teaspoon|
|Softened butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Tablespoon|
1. Heat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cut off all the skin from the ham.
3. Place it in a roasting pan, and add the cider.
4. Cover the pan with foil, fitting it to the rim to prevent steam escaping.
5. Bake the ham for 30 minutes.
6. While it bakes, prepare glaze and apples. To make glaze, blend the mustard and honey, and flavor with cloves.
7. To prepare apples for stuffing, core but do not peel them.
8. Enlarge the core holes a little.
9. Drain the can of pineapple, reserving the juice.
10. Chop the flesh finely; squeeze out the juice and add to the reserved juice.
11. Combine 3 ounces of the pineapple flesh with the rice in a small bowl (reserve the rest of the pineapple).
12. Season the pineapple-rice mixture with salt and pepper, and fill it into the apples.
13. Pile any extra stuffing on the apples, and top each with 1/2 teaspoon chilled butter.
14. Remove the ham from the oven after 30 minutes. Take off the foil.
15. Place the ham on a board, skinned side up.
16. Pour most of the cider from the roasting pan into a measuring jug; leave only 1/4 inch (5mm) depth in the pan.
17. Cover the top of the ham with the glaze mixture.
18. Return it to the pan, glazed side up, and place the apples around it.
19. Return the pan to the oven without a covering; bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until glaze is golden-brown and apples are tender.
20. Make the gravy. Add to the cider in the jug enough reserved pineapple juice to make 2 1/2 cups.
21. Pour into a small saucepan. Heat gently almost to the boiling point.
22. Add the softened butter by teaspoonfuls, stirring constantly until it melts.
23. Take the pan off the heat, and stir in the cream and reserved pineapple flesh.
24. Pour into a well warmed sauce boat.
25. Place the ham on a warmed carving dish.
26. Garnish with the apples. Serve the ham in slices, with an apple for each person. Pass the gravy separately.