Ham Baked in Cider
|Cooked ham||12 Pound|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apple cider||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Sliced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Wipe ham with damp paper towels.
3. Take a shallow roasting pan without rack and place the ham in it.
4. Arrange 1/2 cup onion slices on ham and sprinkle with bay leaf.
5. Insert meat thermometer in center of thickest part of ham, away from bone.
6. Pour 2 cups cider into pan and cover tightly with foil.
7. Bake ham for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until meat thermometer registers 130F.
8. Remove ham from oven and drain liquid.
9. In medium saucepan, combine remaining 2 cups cider, the brown sugar, lemon juice and onion bring to boiling and boil uncovered 5 minutes.
10. Strain and return ham to roasting pan.
11. With sharp knife, make diagonal cuts in fat (be careful not to cut into meat), 1/4 inch deep and 1 inch apart.
12. Stud the center of each diamond shape with a whole clove.
13. Pour cider mixture over ham.
14. Bake, uncovered and basting every 15 minutes, until meat thermometer registers 140F—about 40 minutes.
15. Remove ham to serving platter and let it stand for 20 minutes before carving.
16. Serve with Apple-Cider Sauce.
Calories 790 Calories from Fat 432
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g73.8%
Saturated Fat 17.6 g88.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 255.8 mg85.3%
Sodium 166.6 mg6.9%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g4%
Dietary Fiber 0.16 g0.64%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 73 g146.2%
Vitamin A 0.6% Vitamin C 2.8%
Calcium 4% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet