|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), firmly packed|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped walnuts/Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In small bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature— about 1 hour.
2. In heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine both kinds of sugar, the corn syrup and water. Cook, stirring with wooden spoon, over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
3. Continue cooking over medium heat, without stirring, to 255°F. on candy thermometer, or until a little syrup in cold water forms a hard ball. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, at high speed, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
5. When thermometer goes down to 250°F gradually pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly at high speed. Continue beating until mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape when beaters are raised.
6. With wooden spoon, beat in vanilla and nuts.
7. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 1/2 inches apart, onto a tray lined with waxed paper, swirling each candy into a peak. Let dry at room temperature.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2039 Calories from Fat 331
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1568.8 mg65.4%
Total Carbohydrates 430 g143.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.3%
Sugars 408.9 g
Protein 16 g32%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 5% Iron 11.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet