This sinful version of a childhood favourite is made with real melted dark chocolate, and gets a grown up twist when spiked with liqueur. It's perfect for sipping with your sweetie on a cold winter's evening, but is guaranteed to chase away the blues at anytime of year. Sipping solo? Just half the recipe. To sneak in some health benefits, use high quality dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa mass for antioxidant value. To cut calories, use 1% or skim milk, though whole milk provides the richest flavour.
1. Pour milk into saucepan and heat over medium for a few minutes until milk gets steamy.
2. Reduce heat to low. Add a cinnamon stick if you wish for a spicy hit. Pour in your chocolate pieces and whisk in to milk until smoothly blended.
3. Add a splash of your favorite liqueur if you wish. Try Creme De Menthe, Cognac, Rum...
4. Pour hot chocolate into mugs.
5. Top with whipped cream and extra pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg (optional).
6. Add chocolate shavings (optional).