South African Peach and Spiced Ricotta Tart
|For the shortcrust pastry|
|Butter||115 Gram, softened|
|Caster sugar||75 Gram|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Plain flour||185 Gram, sifted|
|For the spiced ricotta|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||40 Gram (plus extra for dusting)|
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC, fan 160ºC, gas mark 4.
2. For the shortcrust pastry - Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and creamy (3-5 minutes). Add yolk, vanilla and salt, mix until just combined. Add flour, mix until just combined, wrap in cling film, pat into a flat, round disc. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper to 3mm thick. Remove top layer of baking paper, invert into a 20cm (8 inch) diameter tart tin. Remove remaining baking paper and using your fingers, lightly press the pastry into the sides of the tin (do not worry if it is a bit crumbly). Trim edges to fit and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Make a cartouche (a circle of baking parchment) and line in the tart tin. Add some cereamic baking beans inside to weigh down the pastry and ‘blind bake’ (ie. without filling) until pale golden (about 15 minutes). Remove cartouche and bake until crisp (4-5 minutes). Cool on a wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, combine nectarines, sugar and water in a bowl, toss to coat. Place nectarines, cut-side up, on a baking paper-lined tray and roast until soft and golden (10-12 minutes).
6. When cool enough to handle, cut into wedges and set aside.
7. For the spiced ricotta - Beat ingredients in a large mixing bowl until smooth (1-2 minutes). Spoon into pastry case.
8. Arrange nectarines on top, scatter with extra sugar and bake until just golden and firm to
touch (20-25 minutes).
9. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Calories 724 Calories from Fat 359
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g62.9%
Saturated Fat 25 g125.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 218.3 mg72.8%
Sodium 238.4 mg9.9%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 29.3 g
Protein 18 g35.9%
Vitamin A 26.7% Vitamin C 0.22%
Calcium 26.4% Iron 6.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet