Moi Moi or Moyin Moyin is a delicious and rich steamed bean pudding. The recipe is very popular in Nigeria but also in many West African countries. In Gambia Moi Moi is called Olele where fish is always added. This is just a basic recipe for Moyin Moyin , please feel free to add your favorite such as cooked meat, fish, eggplant and anything you want.
Black eyed peas
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), soaked overnight
Hard boiled eggs
1 Small, chopped
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (or crayfish)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
3 Tablespoon (or tomato stew)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Soak the beans in water overnight and remove the peel.
2. Chop the onion into pieces.
3. Cut the boiled eggs into half.
4. In a blender, add ground shrimp, onion, chilli powder, spring onion, bouillon cube, tomato sauce, few drops of water and blend till smooth.
5. Gradually add the beans into the blender in batches with a little water and continue blending till smooth.
6. Transfer this into a large bowl.
7. Add salt, curry powder and thyme. Mix well till combined.
8. Pour the oil into it and mix till incorporated.
9. Put this batter into a small bowl and add boiled eggs. You can also add meat of choice here.
10. Place this bowl in a steamer and cover with aluminium foil, cover with a lid and steam for 45 minutes. Check with a fork to see if it is done.
11. Remove from the steamer and allow it to cool.
12. In a serving plate, serve it fully or cut into slices as desired along with cucumber, tomato slices or any garnish of choice.
Instead of boiled eggs, cooked fish, smoked fish, cooked meat, aubergines (eggplant) cubed, Spring onion can also be used.