Kelewele also called Hot Plantain Crisps is a popular Ghanaian side dish. Mostly known to be spicy, it is fried plantain that is usually served with rice and stew or alone. It can be served as dessert or for just snack. Kelewele is my favorite Ghanaian snack; it is the most common type of snack sold by street vendors in Ghana. The recipe is simple and full of flavor.
2 Medium, sliced at an angle
1⁄2 Medium (3 tablespoon ground ginger)
1 Medium, chopped
1 Teaspoon (to taste)
1 Teaspoon (1 bouillon cube)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (lemon juice)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (or as required, for frying)
Cooking oil spray
1. Peel the plantain and slice them into pieces at an angle. Transfer it into a bowl. The plantain should not be past ripe.
2. Chop the onion into large pieces.
3. If using oven preheat it to 450 degrees F.
4. In a blender add the ginger, onion, water, cayenne pepper, cloves and salt and blend to smooth paste.
5. Pour it over the sliced banana pieces and mix well till all pieces are coated. Set aside for 2 minutes.
6. In a deep frying pan heat oil and put the marinated banana pieces on by ne and fry till golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
7. If using oven, spray some cooking oil, place the marinated pieces on a baking tray and bake it for 15 minutes or till done.
8. In a serving plate, serve hot with a refreshing drink.