Plantains are very popular in African cuisine. There are many different ways to prepare plantain. In today’s recipe we are going to make some spicy green plantain chips. You can serve these chips as appetizers or snacks, in all cases there are so enjoyable.
3 , peeled
1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)
For spice mix
1 Teaspoon (or to taste)
1⁄2 Teaspoon (or to taste)
1. Thinly slice plantain and soak in water for 5-10 minutes to wash away the excess starch.
2. Drain well and season with salt.
3. In a pan, heat the vegetable oil until it reaches 350 degree F.
4. Fry the plantain for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
5. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, curry powder and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
6. Season fried plantain with spice mix and serve immediately.
African Plantain Chips are a nice alternative for potato chips. Watch this video for the details of this recipe. There is hardly any work in making it; if you get past slicing the plantain. You can add your favorite seasoning to customize as per your taste. Happy Munching!