Red is a very popular Ghanaian cowpeas (black eyed peas ) or bean stew , that is traditionally serve with fried or boiled plantain , I believe that Red earned its name from the palm oil that makes the sauce red. It is very easy to make and taste so yummy.
1 , sliced
2 , mashed
1 Teaspoon (or to taste)
Dried black eyed peas
2 Cup (32 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs) (as needed for boiling peas)
1. Soak the peas overnight and then remove the skin by rubbing them between your hands.
2. Wash away the skin and set aside.
3. Remove the bones and cut fish into small pieces.
4. In a large pot add the peas with enough water and boil for about 40-60 minutes or until tender.
5. Place a saucepan on flame and heat palm oil in it.
6. Fry the onions in hot oil until brown.
7. Add mashed tomatoes, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and bouillon cube. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Stir in smoked fish and the cooked black eyed peas.
9. Season with salt and let the sauce simmer for 10 more minutes.