Akara or Binch akara is a famous West African bean fritters , they are most popular in Nigeria where they are eaten for breakfast, appetizer, side dish or just snack. It’s made from beans or black eyed peas. It is usually serve with a tomato sauce or any hot sauce. The fritters are crispy outside and soft on the inside.
Black eyed peas
2 Cup (32 tbs) (or African beans)
1 Small, chopped finely
2 , finely chopped
1 Teaspoon (or one bouillon cube)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)
1. Soak the peas or beans for at least 3 hours or overnight.
2. Rub between your hands and remove the skin. Rinse and to remove until the peas become white.
3. In food processor add the beans and half cup of water. Blend until smooth. Batter should not be watery.
4. Transfer it to a bowl and add onion, green chili, salt/one bouillon cube, and red pepper. Mix well.
5. In a pan, heat oil until very hot and using a deep spoon form balls of the mixture and fry on medium heat until brown on each side, turning frequently. Place on paper towel to drain
6. Serve hot with tomato sauce or any hot sauce and enjoy!
Have you ever come across a dish that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner and as an appetizer or a snack? If not, then you must try this Nigerian Akara. It is a bean fritter that is delicious and high in protein. Have it with your favorite dip!